Skip to main content

Cool Beans Coffee - Support Local, Caffeinate Local


Megan and Jake Turner
     Cool Beans Coffee - Support Local, Caffeinate Local

     There are a great many things that I take serious in my life. Two of those things are coffee and supporting local. Enter Cool Beans Coffee.

     Starting off in 2011 with a quaint little drive thru on Spokane’s South Hill; Megan Turner, [along with husband Jake], and her crew have been slinging cupped lightning for going on eight years. First in the original location, what is now the Maverick gas station parking lot, and then in 2016 moving right across the street. The move came with an exterior facelift, but kept the same warm, inviting, team on the inside. Now in 2018 we have been graced with the gift of a second location in Spokane Valley, on University street. A walk in, sit down, cafe, and drive thru with food, drink, and Fred…  A surprise announcement, from the Turner/Turner power couple, just days ago, however, is leaving this writer as well as many other customers of the beloved coffee shop slightly saddened but excited at the same time. The South Hill shop that started it all will soon be closing its windows, and later re-opening under new ownership. This change will not only leave more time and energy to focus on the cafe, it also means a less hectic family life, giving the Turners the opportunity to spend more time with their two girls, as well as…baby Turner, who will be here sooner than later. I, myself, am a big believer in family first. I applaud this couple for taking a leap of faith, believing in their heart of hearts that they are making the right move.
Fred


    I recently sat down with my dear friend Megan (over a cup of coffee) and got the inside scoop on just what makes Cool Beans so…cool!

    First things first. I had to know where the name came from. It’s unique, and yet fits the company so well. As it turns out out Megan has been doing this coffee thing for a hot second. In college, while living with her aunt, she (Megan) was working on a business plan, for her small business management class. She created a coffee shop, figured out all the ins and outs, but had to come up with the right name. Her aunt, being a product of the 50’s was constantly using the term Cool Beans, which as it turns out is also a favorite of yours truly. So, in Aunty’s honor, Cool Beans Coffee it was! Fast forward to 2011, Jake and Megan are buying a real coffee shop, and trying to figure out what to call it, when Megan’s aunt comes up with the brilliant idea, “Why not just call it Cool Beans, like in your business plan?” And the rest, as they say, is history… Way to go Aunty!
The South Shop After The Move
    If there is one thing I can think of that CBC is AS or MORE passionate about than coffee, it’s the love for their community. You can quite often find Megan and crew hosting and/or participating in a number of community events such as the Washington Pediatric Hydrocephalus Foundation Walk, Gift card give aways though the Spokane Guild School, The Pretty in Pink Coffee vs. Cancer program, and of course, the best Harvest party in town. I recommend getting a hold of the team to see how you can get involved.
    Keeping with the community theme, let’s talk about promos. What kind of fun kickbacks can you get when buying from CBC? First things first, for you early risers… Early Morning Happy Hour gets you a 16oz mocha or latte for just $3.00, IF you can get there between 5:30 and 7:00 am, Monday through Friday. Another great one to keep in mind is Double Punch Wednesdays. Make sure to have your coffee card ready. Every coffee you buy gets you one punch on your card, and every 10th coffee is on the house. The best way to double up is to come in on Wednesdays… One coffee, two punches… And last but not least, what would the holidays be, without deals on coffee? Discounts for mom and dad on Mothers and Fathers day, Veteran’s day discounts, as well as Christmas, Turkey Day, and Black Friday deals… All of these crazy holidays call for extra caffeine… Might as well cash in on the good deals while they are available.


    Alright, so we have the name, we have the deals, we have the love for the community… but what about the customer? What is like to be a patron of CBC? Why do people like myself, and so many others go back? Why do we call it OUR coffee shop? Because after all, it’s JUST a coffee shop right? You can get a cup of Joe anywhere… While that is true, it's a building, it’s coffee, it’s everywhere; there is so much more to it. It’s the atmosphere, the kindness, the greetings and departures — quite simply, it’s family. When you walk into the cafe, whether the girls know you or not, you will be greeted with a smile and a triumphant “Hello! Welcome!” It’s not your typical, canned, ‘I have to be nice, so they tip me’ type greeting, either. You can tell the crew has a genuine love for their job and the people that come with it. They ask you about your day, about your life, dreams and ambitions… and if you bring your puppy through the drive thru, everyones heart’s will melt. If they don’t know you right off the bat, trust me… they will know you soon enough. Before you know it, you’ll be walking in, not to — hello, welcome, but rather to, MIKE! What’s up? If your name isn’t Mike, that will be awkward at first, but you will get used to it. Fortunately for me, that IS my name…so I’m good to go. You get a sense of comfort when you interact with the staff, and with that sense of comfort comes loyalty, and THAT is why we keep coming back to Cool Beans Coffee. So from this guy and so many more, comes a sincere thank you, to Megan, Jake, and everyone on staff, for our beautiful home away from home. (Even you Fred)
Your New Favorite Spot

    These are just my words… Take them or leave them — but, this company has been in business and thriving for going on eight years; we can’t all be wrong… right? Give them a try. Stop by and say hi. I’m willing to bet you won’t be upset. Those last two sentenced unintentionally rhymed. I’m a poet and I didn’t even know it. Ok… That’s enough. Long story short… Support local, caffeinate local.


www.cbc509.com

-Mike Brown

Do you have a favorite hotspot? Are you a business owner? Where Should I go next? Leave a comment or a reaction, share with your friends, hit the subscribe button above, and check out more local reviews at: whatmikeknows.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bike Hub - What's Not To Love?

                   "The Bike Hub -What’s Not To Love”       There are so many things I love about The Bike Hub. Here are a few reasons why I keep coming back, and why I recommend it to all my friends. The South Hill Location: 817 S Perry St, Spokane, WA 99202       Let’s start off with what I think is  most important. Something that keeps people coming back to any establishment… Customer Service. If I don’t feel welcome in a store, I am less likely to buy. If I don’t feel welcome in a store, I am less likely to recommend it to others. The feeling of hollow, “I’m just here for a paycheck” customer service is something I have never experienced while shopping at “The Hub” and believe me… I’ve done a LOT of shopping here. Just ask Danny… You’ll find him over at the South Hill store. No sir! My experiences have always been just ...